Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Phone Banking for Shy People

In the 5 days since I sent the email, several people have responded with some version of the following:

"I want to help with phone calling, but I'm really shy. I don't feel like I know the issues well enough. I think I'm not good at convincing people to support Obama."

Now, that's debatable in many of these cases, but there's no reason to give yourself an anxiety attack when there are so many ways to support the campaign.

There is a HUGE need to mobilize New Yorkers to go to Pennsylvania and other swing states - which means there is a similarly huge need for volunteers to do phone outreach to people who have signed up to do weekend trips and attend Camp Obama/Field Organizer trainings. Yes, I (and the campaign) know many of you did this weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. This is an ideal and critically important opportunity for anyone who feels shy, or uncertain about his/her ability to sway undecided voters. I just spent the evening phone interviewing Camp Obama applicants and connecting people to opportunities to go to PA - it's both totally inspirational and as easy as inviting people to the best party in town.

I talked with a few dozen people who were either willing to put their lives, jobs and families on hold for 5 weeks to volunteer in a swing state, or wanted to dedicate multiple weekends to go to Pennsylvania between now and the election. One woman whose husband lost his Wall Street job last week told me she was willing to quit hers to become a Field Organizer "because the most important thing I can do for my family is to make sure Obama gets elected." I almost wept in the middle of the phone bank.

"Get people to Pennsylvania" phone banks are taking place every weeknight between 5 and 9 at the Teamsters Union office on W. 14th Street in Manhattan. I am getting more information about the formal sign up process (I was subbing for a "community organizer" friend who had an unexpected meeting), and will post it as soon as I have it. Or email me, and I'll give you a backdoor email address to sign up.

Everyone should do try to do this at least once.

No comments: